Social Icons

Sunday, January 20, 2013

School started...

Sorry I'm so busy!  I'm eating about 80-90% vegan right now, but I didn't take the time to buy groceries before the week started last week, so I ate a lot of convenience foods.  Not too much overly processed stuff, but salad bars, veggie wraps, etc.  Two things stood out.

This hummus veggie wrap at the Boar's Head deli on campus.  $3.50.  I don't know if the tortilla is truly vegan, but this is one of the tastiest options I have had on campus.  Others include a couple of questionable salad bars and veggie sushi rolls.  I had them put all veggies on there...tomato, lettuce, onion, olives, cucumber, bell peppers, pickles, jalapenos, banana peppers, plus the hummus.  It was awesome!  That night, a professor had ordered herself a pizza, and it smelled sooooo good.  I heard her order spicy sausage over the phone, and I drooled.  So, this was also a big win for not succumbing to an unhealthy dinner.  (Although, I did eat a cupcake from someone's birthday that day...)


Last night, I made the soup in this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wVQV1xFd4

My version had a roasted acorn squash, about 10 roasted roma tomatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 5-6 carrots, 3-4 celery stalks (just leftover in the fridge), 1 onion, 3 shallots, some garlic, 2 green peppers, 1 box veggie stock, a little water, salt and pepper.  I simmered all this until the carrots finally got tender, then I added half a bag of "super greens", which was a mix of spinach, swiss chard, red chard, and bok choy, along with a can of coconut milk.  I seasoned it with a couple teaspoons of garam masala, then let my roommate do the immersion blender honors.  This required great restraint on my part, because I dreamed so long of making soups with an immersion blender, and I have only done it once since August, before last night.

Guys, this soup was KILLER.  I was floored by the amazing flavor.  I say this all the time, because I love soup so much, but this might have been the best soup I have ever made.


My roommate loved it, too.  Good thing, because there are 12 cups of leftovers in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment